Sunday, March 15, 2009

Going GREEN ?

Disposable alkaline batteries are one of the most dangerous household pollutants in garbage dumps, yet we nonchalantly toss them away everyday. I can't count how many of these handy little batteries inhabit my home - in flash lights, remote controls, watches, and smoke detectors. Yet they will all end up polluting the soil, air and the ground water, unless they are taken to a toxic waste depot and properly disposed of.

But that all takes effort! Nonetheless - in an attempt to be more environmentally responsible - I am not throwing them away. Instead, in my study, I have an old plastic yogurt container full of them. I plan to take it to the waste depot when I have enough batteries to make the trip worth while. (Is it any wonder my study is so cluttered!!)

Now, if I had small children around, I would probably throw them away quickly - as they are toxic for children to play with ... especially young ones, who put everything into their mouths...

I would hardly call those batteries environmentally friendly or "green." (I also wonder about the rechargeable batteries I have in my cell phone and camera... they also need to be disposed of in a special way.)

So here is what I don't understand: There is a lot of talk these days about going green by using those twirly new low-energy light bulbs. In fact, in our home we have replaced most of our old light bulbs with these new energy-efficient ones. Once you get used to the way they take a few minutes to light up, they are fine.

But recently one of these new bulbs in our house burned out. (I know they are supposed to last 10 or more years, but this one didn't.) It was then that I was informed that, like batteries, these new bulbs shouldn't be simply thrown into the garbage. They also need to be taken to a toxic waste dump to be properly disposed of.

I'm not sure how this can be called going green - if they are too dangerous to just throw out. If I need to drive to a special disposal depot, does the energy they will save me surpass the energy I need to use to dispose of them? Are they worth the contamination they will create in garbage dumps, where - let's face it - most of them will end up?

For us to really "go green," these bulbs shouldn't be a hazard. Neither should toxic waste depots be so hard to get to. Why not put them in all shopping centers, for example - so that I could drop off my old batteries and light bulbs when I go to buy new ones?

One Swiss student told me that supermarkets in his country have recycling stations for used cooking oil. When people come to buy new cooking oil, they drop off their old, used oil. That makes sense. If we make recycling easy, most of us will actually be able to do it.

Now back to my burnt-out twirly light bulb... I really do want to be responsible in disposing of it, so instead of putting it in the garbage, I have taken another old plastic yogurt container and put it in there - to keep until I go to the toxic waste depot...

When I think about it, my study is now a toxic waste holding station! I'm not sure how comfortable that makes me feel!

4 comments:

  1. You can recycle rechargeable batteries at www.call2recycle.org. They recruit the help of retail stores you probably shop at or pass by on a regular basis. (like RadioShack, Home Depot, Lowe's, Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot). The program is free, paid for by the rechargeable battery industry. This includes all rechargeable batteries, even the ones in your cordless electronics like laptops, camcorders, digital cameras, cell phones, power tools, cordless phones, cordless vacuums, even electric toothbrushes and electric razors... anything that needs to be plugged in to be recharged.

    Rechargeable batteries are better for the environment than alkaline because they last up to 1,000 charges, last between 2-5 years, and when they finally wear out and can't hold a proper charge any longer, they can be recycled 100%. Alkalines don't last as long, you have to buy a lot more to equal one rechargeable battery and alkalines can't be recycled. (According to the EPA, alkalines don't contain mercury anymore, after a 1996 law, so they aren't considered harmful in the trash).

    The rechargeable battery recycling process is EPA approved. Nothing goes into the landfills. Reuseable metals are extracted in a high thermal process. The cadmium is used to make new rechargeable batteries, the nickel and iron are used in the production of stainless steel. Even the slag at the end of the process is used in roads/asphalt.

    The technology of the new CFL lighting is relatively new and by the time an average buld wears out, there will be better technology and won't contain as much mercury. (I read about this in one of last year's This Old House magazine). I suspect the one that burned out on you was either defective (which you could have got a refund/warranty) and/or the lamp used could have had a fault. When I've had a CFL bulb burn out on me, the person at the store explained that it was too hot in my recessed lighting. I should have used a slighty different bulb. BTW, Home Depot also accepts these light bulbs for recycling.

    While these products might not be perfectly green, at least these industries offer an option while many product manufacturers don't even bother. I go through more plastic containers than I do batteries or lightbulbs and yet not all plastics are recyclable. In my community, only 1-3 but check out the other containers in the frig, pantry, or in your bathroom (i.e. shampoo, lotion, mouthwash). Not all plastic containers are #1-3 thus can't be put in the curbside bin.

    I applaud the industries who try to be more responsibly of the products they peddle. It's not a perfect system but it's more than many other manufacturers are willing to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment - I did discover (last night when I went to Home Depot) that they do now have battery recycling as well as new (twirly)light bulb recycling. Radio Shack used to recycle rechargeable batteries. In my area that store is now called The Source by Circuit City, and I don't know what battery recycling policy they have. I'll have to check. My city does recycle certain plastics, but I have found that from time to time the numbers of the ones they accept change - so it takes a determined recycler to keep up! My biggest local recycling disappointment is that we no longer recycle plastic bags. Recycling is important - shouldn't be hard to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The state of California (followed by many other cities and states) are banning stores from using plastic shopping bags. This would require shoppers to bring their own bags or the stores to charge their customers a fee (which should encourage people to bring their own). The reuseable tote bags carry more groceries than a plastic one. I have many from conferences and tradeshows. I carry many in my trunk. I see more and more people bringing their own tote bag with them to the stores. Slowly, people are beginning to see that every little effort helps in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also carry some in my car and think it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete