Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Cluttering - Decluttering Continues

This month has been amazing - the amount of stuff that has come in and gone out of our home. And it isn't over yet. We continue to be a holding area for my mother's possessions that we daily move out of her apartment. Some of it goes almost immediately to her new home, some of it will stay here - so shelves have to be emptied to make way for it! Some dishes and towels will find their way to Toronto in the next month or two - and some of it will end up at St. Richard's Nearly New Store, a place where we regularly drop off bags of clothing and books - for them to sell - to raise money for the church and the poor in the community.














Every Tuesday morning, a group of men and women (many retired) gather to sort through things that have been donated. Then on Thursdays and Fridays the shop is open. This tiny second-hand store in the basement of a church serves as a great equalizer - those who have more than they need can contribute, and those who need something can purchase bargains at "garage-sale" prices.

A week ago yesterday, I announced that I hoped to give away or get rid of 100 items in my home that I no longer need. It has taken me a little over a week to reach my 100, but this morning, going through a large stack of old Sports Illustrated Magazines, I went over the 100 mark! (Not counting my mother's things that have moved in and then out.)

So the final tally is:
2 containers of dead batteries
8 tapes
18 toys
18 cups and dishes
6 blouses
1 bike helmet
5 computer games
34 books and magazines
10 costume jewelery containers - some empty
2 (diabetic) glucose testing meters I no longer use (I prefer another brand)
-------------
104 items

But the hunt isn't over. Our cupboards are still hiding at least 100 more items we no longer need - I plan to hunt them down!

No comments:

Post a Comment