Monday, March 23, 2009

Getting Rid of 100 Things!

I read recently that most of us have 100 things we never use in our homes that we could easily get rid of. My immediate thought was -I probably have 100 excess objects in every room of my house!

So today - Monday - I begin my week with the goal of trying to get rid of 100 things this week - not sure what or how - but it seems like a pleasant purging - especially since I ordered half a dozen books from Chapters and they arrived on Friday.













Here are my new books! Now I need to get rid of at least 6 books to make room for them on my overflowing bookshelves!














Here are some I may be able to part with... I often use an online dictionary and thesaurus these days.

Magazines are easier to deal with. I read recently that an efficient way of dealing with magazine clutter is simply to tear out anything you want to keep, file it, and get rid of the magazine. I suppose that if the magazine is too mangled, recycling it as paper would be best. But if it is relatively intact, taking it to a hospital or a clinic would be a good idea. I always appreciate having magazines to read there.














Another obvious way to get rid of extras is to use up the free samples that collect in the bathroom cupboard. I've moved these shampoo samples to a basket so that I'll remember to use them. But it will take months (not days) to use them up!

Clothing might be another area where I could try to downsize... But I do hate to get rid of clothes!! Come to think of it, I hate to get rid of anything! I love my stuff! (Well, maybe not the shampoo samples!)

I'll try my best to get rid of 100 things this week. If I don't mention it again, you'll know I failed!

No comments:

Post a Comment