Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Achanging? Eh changing? Uh changing? Ah changing?

I just returned from teaching a homonym workshop to students learning English here in Canada, and as I looked at the title of my latest blog entry, it occurred to me that I didn't know what "a changing" meant....

When Bob Dylan penned his song: "...times they are a-changin'," does he mean:

1. "achanging [as in awaking]?"

2. "eh [pause] changing"?

3. "uh [surprise] changing"?

4. "ah [contentment] changing"?

Mmmmmm, maybe we need a vote?!

4 comments:

  1. I vote for #4.
    Is this an official plebiscite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I'm concerned, it's official... so the only one with a vote is #4! It's in the lead! Thanks for voting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's another thought, Marlene. It has to do with rhyme and meter and fitting it to a melody. He has taken a statement - times change, or times are changing (and yes, I know they mean 2 different things), and made them fit the melody. We often express things differently in poetry and in song because of the constraints, or need to make it fit a pre-determined form.
    Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete