Thursday, March 26, 2009

Declutter Countdown - Day 4

In my quest to de-clutter my living space, this week I am attempting to eliminate 100 things I no longer use - we won't talk about need...

The thought: "I might need this sometime" is what makes it hard to let go!

So this morning I tallied up things that I have gotten rid of since Monday -
2 containers of dead batteries
13 books and magazines
10 costume jewelery containers - some empty
2 (diabetic) blood testing meters I no longer use (I prefer another brand)
-----------
GRAND TOTAL: 27 items so far...

So the count goes on...
Will I make my goal of 100?
I'm feeling doubtful ... But I'll persist...

It's ironic that I'm counting small items that I'm getting rid of - while at the same time I am carting boxes of my mother's stuff into our basement! She is downsizing from a 1-bedroom apartment to one room in a senior's residence. She no longer wants to cook - and a cleaning lady comes into her room at the residence every day. The daily exercise class is what made her want to move. She also loves the almost-daily singalongs and weekly discussion group...

My mother has (fortunately) downsized a few times since I was young - or the job would be much larger. My youngest son is moving into a new apartment in about a month - and will happily take Grandma's towels and dishes... So the timing is perfect. But we are a temporary holding area until he moves.

Among my mother's kitchenware are two items I will probably never use (and I doubt that my son will either).














There is this well-used food mill, useful for making tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes.














Another is a bun warmer that predates microwave ovens. I'm not sure how to use it - does one put water in the bottom and heat it, steaming the buns to warm them? I'll have to ask my mother.

I think I'll take these to the church bazaar, I tell my daughter. Maybe someone can use them.

No, they're cute. Keep them
, she replies.

That is the first hint I've had that the clutter-gene has moved down to the next generation! As my daughter reminds me at moments like these: The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

2 comments: