Tuesday, February 24, 2009

When a To-Do List Doesn't Work...

I recently created a comprehensive "to-do" list of jobs that I wanted to get done. I posted it beside a calendar for the month to remind me to do it. When the month had ended and time came to turn the page on the calendar, I checked off the items that had been done - and was dismayed to discover that about 75% had not been touched.

When this happened a second month, I became very discouraged... What was I doing with my time?!

It was then that I decided that I needed a "reverse-to-do" list, a "DONE IT!" list - to boost my morale. On a scrap of paper, I wrote DONE IT! in big letters - and proceeded to fill it with 10 accomplishments as mundane as washing the dishes. Once I had 10 on my list, the pressure was off. I spent the rest of the day doing whatever I wanted...

I don't know if I accomplished more with my DONE IT! list - but I did feel better about how I spent my time. And isn't that what it's all about?!

No comments:

Post a Comment