Friday, February 6, 2009

First You Eat With Your Eyes...

My class was having a potluck lunch at school, immigrant students all bringing food from their native countries. As we admired one particularly attractive platter, one student - a young lady from Iraq - commented: First you eat with your eyes, then with your mouth.

What does that mean? I asked.

It's a proverb in my country. It means that food has to look appetizing or we won't want to eat it, she replied.

I thought of that proverb on a recent weekend in Toronto. Some food set before me was so attractive, I almost didn't want to spoil its beauty by eating it. I had heard of latte art - then I had a cup at Balzac Cafe in Liberty Village















Amazingly, the flower design on the coffee remained intact till the very end.
Here is another type of art: A bowl of cake and fruit served at the home of a friend.















They both looked almost too good to eat- but I did succumb - and they tasted great too!

No comments:

Post a Comment