Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Anyone Up For the Challenge?

(Making miniature knit sweaters and crocheted bears!)

I have always enjoyed knitting sweaters out of chunky yarn - the knitting progresses so quickly.

This Nordic-style knit jacket is made of very thick yarn - the thickest I've ever used.





























When I began to knit socks and baby sweaters, I felt I had moved into a new realm of knitting - the yarn is so fine.

That was before I discovered miniature knitting and crocheting. Taking it up (or down) quite a few notches, some artisans use thread instead of yarn!

A few years ago in Toronto, I met Andrea Berenbaum, a Canadian who loves to crochet miniature bears and other animals - each one unique. Here is a website displaying some of her creations. To truly appreciate her art, pay attention to the dimensions of each bear!
Here is another site where her crocheted miniatures are sold: Etsy
I don't have any of her bears but I do have this tiny beaded bird she made. There is a pen lying beside it, to show how small it is.














Today I discovered another amazing yarn artist: a woman who creates and knits miniature sweaters. This YouTube video shows her in action.

This Coraline sweater animation was sent to my daughter by her friend Natalie. Thanks, both of you, for sharing!


Now ... anyone up for the challenge of miniature knitting or crocheting?!

No comments:

Post a Comment