Wednesday, February 4, 2009

For Knitters Only!

Sometimes I feel like a certain knitter in a Youtube animation - a woman who spends most of the story sitting and knitting...

I have been knitting a scarf for more than a year. I call it my Waiting Scarf.

I take it along whenever I expect to have to sit and wait a while, like in doctors' offices, at airports or on trains.

Originally I bought some variegated yarn to make a pair of socks. I was new to sock knitting and I liked the color, so I bought a lot, not knowing how much I'd need.

After the socks were finished, I didn't know what to do with the rest... until I discovered a lovely knit pattern for a Shadow Shawl, and decided to try "shadow knitting" (alternating 2 rows of variegated and 2 rows of dark yarn) If you alternate between knitting and purling rows - knit 2 in one color, then purl 2 in the other - the dark looks like a shadow of the variegated rows. Here is what my scarf looks like today.... It's not finished yet.















How long do I plan to make it? Until I run out of the variegated or the dark blue.

But unlike the knitter in the animation, once it's done, I don't plan to quit! In fact, I have a lovely ball of variegated part-mohair sock yarn that I'm anxious to try!

Okay, now watch the film, The Last Knit. (I think any knitter will identify.)

No comments:

Post a Comment