Wednesday, April 26, 2023

More About "Mulukhiyah"

A few weeks ago, I wrote about a dish called "mulukhiyah" - something I have never eaten. 

A few days later, a friend  commented that she had read my blog post and - (surprise!) - she and her family regularly eat it. She even had some mulukhiyah soup in her freezer.

She shared other interesting information, some of which is from a site called Amira's Pantry.


The dish apparently originated in Egypt and spread throughout the middle east and North Africa. The soup is popular as a Jewish Sabbath dish, hence the name, "Jew's Mallow'.

Molokhia [another spelling] is a type of leafy plant called Corchorus, It can be found in different forms - fresh leaves, dried or frozen variety.

https://amiraspantry.com/mulukhia-aka-jews-mallow/

My friend commented that the soup has a slimy texture that her children didn’t enjoy. But she and her husband found that a squirt of lemon juice cuts it, and enhances the flavour.

The following day, another friend reminisced about eating it at a favourite Montreal restaurant:

"I was intrigued by your blog on mulukhiya. The Basha restaurant used to have a daily special once a week made with that vegetable. They called the dish mulukhiya. I'd never heard the other names for the vegetable in English. The people at Basha referred to it as Egyptian spinach. I loved that dish. It was toasted bits of pita covered with a big serving or white rice, which was then topped with mulukhiya stewed with chicken and spices. All this was then garnished with a generous amount of chopped raw onion in vinegar or lemon juice. The stewed mulukhiya looked like green slime, but the whole was delicious. I first tried it because I always took the daily special."

This lovely food description ALMOST makes me want to try it - though I'm not a fan of eating "slimy" food.

No comments:

Post a Comment