Thursday, April 19, 2018

My Toronto Challenge

I didn't climb the CN tower, during my last trip to Toronto - but I did pass a different kind of "test"!

I should preface my account by mentioning that, many years ago, I lived in Montreal and drove the city expressways daily in my little Honda Civic, without giving it a second thought. Later we moved to Toronto for a year, and I thought nothing of driving on Toronto streets either.

But that was 40 years ago... and, since then, both cities have grown... and I've lost my confidence!

You may have to drive when we go to Toronto, Terry informed me, as we planned our last trip.

We were helping our daughter move from Toronto to Guelph - and Terry had volunteered to drive a rented moving van.

I can't... I don't want to, I had replied...

But, in the end, there was no choice... I did have to. I followed him for an hour and a half, down city streets and expressways. And the next day, I drove an hour and a half back into the city again as he returned the rental vehicle.



I'm glad I had to do it! It's important to challenge oneself from time to time! I later told my daughter. Then I added: I kept telling myself: Do the thing you fear, and the death of fear is certain...

Except, I mistakenly said: Do the thing you fear and the fear of death is certain...

(It must have been a Freudian slip!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment