Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Who Will Win - The Vine or the Tree?

Wild vines - wild grape and Virginia Creeper - are two pervasive weeds in our yard. If we didn't pull them down every year, they would cover the whole yard!

A few years ago, I noticed a small tree growing on our fence line, near a fence that is covered with vines.

I welcomed the prospect of a new shady spot in the yard.

Before long, however, the vines growing on the fence began to climb the tree, tying up its branches...

New branches grew - these in turn were enveloped by vines.








From time to time, we pulled down the vines ... but they grow back.

Who will win - the vine or the tree? If I were a gambler, I'd bet on the vines!




Hmmm... I notice another tree has sprouted nearby - planted no doubt by some squirrel. It has somehow managed to evade the vines so far... I wonder how long that will last!

No comments:

Post a Comment