Sunday, July 26, 2015

The Secret of Happiness

Years ago I read a fascinating book entitled Celebration of Discipline.

It spoke about the benefits of integrating traditional spiritual practices into our modern lives.

I found the book so interesting because I had always viewed spiritual discipline as an ancient medieval concept abandoned by the modern church. But here a modern theologian (and a Quaker at that) was encouraging us to bring these practices back into our lives. I was faced with the question: Should I make meditation, fasting, confession (and so on) part of my life as well?


Recently I came across a reference to a new "discipline" in a different book, Strength for the Journey. Renee Miller writes about the "discipline" of gratitude: "Gratitude may flit across the canvas of our souls from time to time when we experience some unexpected moment of grace, but it does not usually flow like a steady mountain stream all through the day."

On the chapter on gratitude, the author suggests making a list of 100 things for which we are thankful. A list that long may bring us face to face, not only with all the good things we enjoy - but also with "pockets of brightness" in the midst of dark struggles.

I think of my mother - happy in the midst of dark times (blind and unable to walk in a nursing home) - daily grateful for the good food and care she daily receives. In fact, she often says: This is a good place to be when you need help. The food is good. The care is good. I don't think there is a better place than this.

Is gratitude (like a steady mountain stream) the secret to happiness? If so, it is a discipline we should all want to develop in our lives. Is regularly writing out 100 things for which we are thankful a good way to start?

No comments:

Post a Comment