Sunday, July 12, 2015

Keep the Goal Low!

There are several areas in our yard that need attention.

One is this front corner that was overrun with weeds and grass. (Out of sight, out of mind!)

Every time I walked by, I wanted to get in there - but do I have the stamina to finish the job once I start?!






 


Finally, the other day, I got on my gardening gear and headed out. Where to begin?

I remembered a comment I read a while back in an article on forming habits: 

Make your goal very small so that you will never be discouraged, one expert advised, adding that his daily goal was to do one push-up in the morning. Just one. Sometimes he did more, but his goal never changed. It was so low that he invariably did at least one.
 
So your goal is to pull out one weed? my son commented when he saw me outside.

Actually it's one garbage can full, I answered.

(In the end I managed to fill three.)







But the work isn't done yet... It looks better - but I still haven't touched the back, near the fence.











And once the weeds are gone, I want to add some plants... like this purple one that needs to be divided.

Once I get started with a major makeover like that, it's hard to have a really small daily goal.

(Maybe my goal should just be to get out there with my gardening gloves on and see where that takes me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment