Thursday, July 2, 2015

Living the Game

My adult sons still enjoy playing video games ... (Like this newly released Batman Game).

But games of imagination or "pretend" are also part of their world - though they're more elaborate than my childhood games of: "Let's pretend..."

Recently one of my sons - together with five friends - participated in a simulation game at "Escape Manor," in downtown Ottawa. The object is of the game was to escape from a locked room in 45 minutes.  Escape Manor has five theme rooms at varying levels of difficulty.

How was it? I asked when he returned.

We were so close, my son said. We were just figuring out the code to open the door when our time was up.

Their game room had been a cell block inside a simulated sheriff's office. Two of them had been handcuffed to the metal prison bars... Then the door to the room was locked.

The room held clues found in keys, books, notes and a computer on the desk. They had to escape the cell and the room to win... And they didn't want to leave their two hand-cuffed friends behind, so they had to find a way to unlock them, too!

What an adrenalin rush! Could they get out of the prison cell - and out of the room in 45 minutes?

Did you have fun? I asked him when he got back.

It was awesome!

Did you get any pictures?

We were too busy - and we were using our cell phones as flashlights so we couldn't use them as cameras at the same time.

(Flashlights?! I know a cell phone can be used as a camera... but as a flashlight?!!! I have so much to learn!)

No comments:

Post a Comment