Saturday, October 11, 2014

New (Embroidery) Project

I have begun a project for a friend... a banner or wall hanging for a spiritual retreat weekend.



Part of it is a simple picture I was given to copy... (But, of course, nothing is ever simple!)












 




The face is most challenging! I started out cross stitching the hair - but have moved into cross hatching (half a cross stitch). I visualize each stitch as a brush stroke in painting.











Shopping for supplies, I discovered that one can buy reflective embroidery thread. I may use that for highlights.

I also purchased some colored fabric markers for this project - sometimes a touch of background color could be helpful. The markers are also useful for delineating lines I traced using light carbon paper. The downside is that I can't make a mistake: The pigment is permanent!


When the picture is done, I plan to iron on interfacing to make it firm, then attach the circle to a larger piece of fabric. I may also use iron-on lettering. Time is running short: It has to be done in a week and a half!!

I'm approaching the project as if I were painting an icon (something I've only read about).

I'm enjoying the challenge: It's always fun to try something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment