Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Who Said That?!

There aren't many robots in my life! I always wanted to buy the robotic vacuum that's on the market: I love the idea of a machine deciding it was time to clean the floor - and then getting up and doing it!

A friend of ours had a robotic arm (assisted by a doctor) perform a delicate surgery - and another robot determine how much anesthetic he needed. But I have had very few encounters with robots.

Recently, however, I took the car through an automated car wash. Winter roads have a way of covering the vehicle in a dusty grey powder, and I was tired to getting my coat dirty every time I brushed against the vehicle.

 












I drove in and stopped when a green arrow turned into a red X. Suddenly a voice boomed: Back up! Back up!














 Who said that?! I didn't see anyone around. Oh my goodness, it's an automated message! I'm being talked to by a robot that senses I'm not in the right spot!














I quickly obeyed...

 












... and the robotic arm got to work!

Sitting in the car wash, while the robotic arm washed and rinsed my vehicle, I was struck by the thought that they're here - robots work among us! And how unlike the Jetson's robotic maid they really are!

No comments:

Post a Comment