Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sisterhood of St. John the Divine Convent Toronto

One of the reasons I traveled to Toronto was to attend a workshop on "Sacred Time" given by Kathleen Norris, an author whose books I discovered about two years ago.














The workshop was held at an Anglican (Episcopalian) convent, the Sisterhood of St. John the Divine, located in a north-eastern suburb of Toronto.














I spent two nights at the convent, a large bright residence full of windows and surrounded by gardens and trees.


















It was not my first convent stay, but it was my most relaxing one. I spent two weekends at a historic old convent in Ottawa attending Cursillo conferences some years back.


















This time there was a lot more free time to read, sleep or go for walks. (A Cursillo weekend is a busy event!)


















Another difference was that meal times were silent.














Nobody talked, though some pulled out books or magazines to read after eating. Eating my first meal in the silent dining room, I was particularly aware of how good the food tasted! (When I eat and talk, the food is often forgotten!)














The sleeping area was also a non-talking zone, which made for a sense of peace. I found myself sleeping better - and longer - than I have for years, a good reason to return!














We were free to join the nuns at their three daily chapel services.














It was a beautiful, relaxing place to be!

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute! As an Associate of SSJD living in Western Canada, I have yet to visit the Convent, but it's clear I must do so before too long. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to go again sometime soon. They offer a lot of programs for a day, a weekend and longer.

    ReplyDelete