Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Have a Check-Up!

I don't like to use my blog to vent about issues - but I just discovered that one of my cousins...


















... a lovely woman (now a grandmother) who was flower girl at my parents' wedding, recently lost her leg because she didn't have regular medical check-ups! She and her husband prided themselves in their healthy lifestyle. In fact, when I last visited them three years ago, the dinner table was laden with fresh vegetables from their organic garden. She looked healthy. Both she and her husband were enjoying retirement and the opportunity for travel that it allowed.

It appears that they both felt so good that they had neglected going to the doctor for regular check-ups: she didn't realize that she had high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. (Conditions I also have to monitor.)

Only when she began to fall in December - and ended up in the hospital - did she find out that her high blood sugar levels had irreparably damaged the nerves in one of her feet. I won't go into details - but before she knew it, one leg had to be amputated below the knee. (I have also heard of people suddenly going blind for the same reason - nerves damaged by high blood sugar.)

The sad thing is: In this day and age, it's preventable!

So my message today is: Get a check-up regularly. An annual blood test to check blood sugar levels could be the most important thing you do for yourself all year! (I use a personal monitor to check mine daily - and have regular blood tests every three months.) Fortunately, seven years after being diagnosed, I'm still able to deal with my type 2 diabetes through diet and exercise. There are things you can do to prevent or delay the need for medication. Don't be caught unaware when the problem becomes irreversible! Have a regular check-up! Please!

No comments:

Post a Comment