Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sharing the (Breadmaking) PASSION

I have been reading Tartine Bread, a book about a young baker's quest for "his" ideal loaf.














This quest led him to baking internships in the US, France and Switzerland, stories he shares in the book.

Now I've come to the part where Chad gives instructions on how to make his wonderful bread...














As I see it, my first step is to create a personal sourdough starter using flour and water. After a week or so of "feeding," it would be ready to use...














Then I need to find a suitable container for baking the bread in. He suggests a pan with a lid, so that the bread bakes in a steamy environment, in order to create a crusty loaf.

Traditional wood-fired ovens, he writes, are full of steam. (I didn't know that!)

I'm anxious to begin... Yet I'm holding back - a sourdough starter (like a family pet) requires daily attention... and I'm not sure I'm ready for a commitment like that!

But someday I'll be ready! Until then, the book makes excellent reading!

And a thought I'm taking away is that everyone can create his or her own "unique" loaf of bread - an exciting prospect!

No comments:

Post a Comment