Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Left Brain? Right Brain?

A good friend recently revealed that for Lent she was giving up - not her favorite food - but her favorite puzzle: sudoku, a logical left brain activity. Instead, in her free time, she was trying to develop her right brain by coloring circles with her non-dominant hand. (And she was finding it boring!)

I have never given a lot of thought to whether I was left-brain dominant or right-brain dominant, but I would guess that I lean to the right... as I'm impulsive, rather than logical, more intuitive and random than rational, characteristics described in this online explanation. (Though I, too, enjoy sudoku puzzles! How then can this be?)

Perhaps I should do an online test to make sure...

After doing the test, I see that yes - I am more artistic than logical... though the difference is small. On the test, it was only two points. (Which may explain why I like sudoku. But I am definitely right-brain dominant: I'd much rather take a trip tomorrow - impulsively - than plan one a few months down the road.)

Why did my friend decide to try to exercise her right brain for Lent? Because she had come to an impasse: She was finding it hard to follow her heart when her logical left brain kept blocking her plans!

I have undertaken no lenten disciplines... Is it because my right brain abhors rules? I don't know, but my excuse is that I view in Lent its original meaning... "lent" (meaning SLOW in French). So I have decided to simply slow down, and see where that takes me!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting test! I found out that I am left-brain dominant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to discover, isn't it. I found it explains a lot. I wonder if one can strengthen - or weaken - this natural tendency (like my friend is trying to do.)

    ReplyDelete