Saturday, March 26, 2011

1000 Things to Do...?

I've noticed a book entitled 1000 Places to See Before You Die... It appears to be popular. But I have never opened the cover...














My reason? I don't want another "to do" list in my life! (Or maybe I'm afraid I'll discover more places I'll want to visit. I already have too many!)














It reminds me of a young man who asked me to take his picture in front of the Western Wall in Jerusalem. He was traveling around the world and he wanted a picture of himself in front of every landmark.

Was it to remind himself of what he had seen? Or to "prove" he had been there? I wondered, as he hurried off to be photographed in front of his next predetermined location.

He had been there, but what had he seen?

My goal - when I was younger - was to travel the world, live in various places for a year or so, to absorb the sights and sounds and to try to understand the culture of the people. Then I hoped to write a novel or two set in each location.

Part of that dream did come true. I have lived and lingered in four cities: Jerusalem (for 10 years), Montreal (for 3 years), Toronto (for almost a year), and Ottawa (for more than 30)... The novels never happened, though I have learned a lot about people along the way!

I still love to travel. And my desire to linger hasn't disappeared either!














So today I'll linger over my coffee...














...enjoying the sights and sounds around me...














...in the place I find myself today.

No comments:

Post a Comment