Monday, June 8, 2009

It always tastes better outdoors...














Now that warm, sunny weather is here, I have begun to eat my breakfast outdoors. The street is peaceful and quiet early in the morning - and I enjoy the fresh air...

But one "danger" lurks in my little paradise - squirrels. They won't come near if I'm sitting on the deck, but should I go in to refill my coffee cup, they would quickly jump up on the table and dig into my food.














That is what happened one summer when I put a fresh-from-the-oven birthday cake on the picnic table to cool. (I was trying to avoid heating up the house on a hot day.)

I thought it would be safe - too hot for the squirrels to touch - but I was wrong! A minute or two later, I looked out again and the still-warm cake was a quarter gone. A squirrel had his tiny hands in the pan - even though the cake was still steaming!

That taught a lesson: Now if I want to avoid heating up the house, I cool cakes by putting them in the car - with the windows rolled up and the doors shut!

No comments:

Post a Comment