Friday, June 12, 2009

Creativity has to be a labor of love!

One of my mother's sisters, Lydia, decided to make an afghan for each of her nieces, which is how I happened to have this cozy blanket:













It is used daily, except in hottest summer weather, by anyone lying on the couch, watching TV.

Aunt Lydia didn't ask what color I wanted it - she chose the colors and design herself - because, as she said, if she didn't enjoy making it, it wasn't really a labor of love.

She had apparently once tried to make an afghan in colors chosen by someone else and had a hard time finishing it - the colors didn't resonate well with her.

I smiled and nodded when she told me this, but I didn't know what she meant. I had never experienced "negative-color-emotion" in any creative project up to that point. (Yes, I'm making up this term - I really don't know what else to call it!)

But I've discovered recently how hard it is to work with colors and designs that don't excite me. Creativity has to give the artist/creator joy. When the element of joy is missing, it's hard to keep going.

I have been having a hard time finishing a certain quilt I started about a year ago. Here are the blocks laid out on the floor. I'm really trying to finish it.

The fabric designs and colors just aren't ME - they are someone else's choice. Perhaps in the end, I'll like it - maybe even love it!














But for now, it's a chore, not a labor of love...

No comments:

Post a Comment