Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Very Flexible Vegan Soup Recipe

I've been trying to eat more vegetables. (They're good for us in every way...) I've also realized that I prefer cooked veggies to fresh ones. So vegetable soup is the perfect answer!

A new soup recipe that I've made several times is roughly based on the minestrone soup recipe in the book, The 30 Day Diabetes Miracle. But I've modified it, as I usually do!

This is how I make it:
In a large pot, heat a tablespoon or two and briefly fry:

  • a chopped onion, 
  • a clove of garlic  
  • one large carrot, diced

After a few minutes, add:

  • a large can of diced tomatoes
  • one celery stalk 
  • about 4 cups of vegetable broth or water 
  • a can of beans or chick peas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 a teaspoon (each) of oregano and basil
  • one bay leaf






The first time I made it, I also added one sliced zucchini. 
The second time, I added a little chopped cauliflower and broccoli and left out the beans and zucchini. 
It was good both times! 
The original recipe also calls for 2/3 cup of whole grain pasta, but I've never added that. 
A few tablespoons of rice would also be nice.

My "secret ingredient" is to also add something spicy, like a few tablespoons of salsa or a tablespoon of hot sauce.

Simmer for an hour or so. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment