Saturday, April 8, 2017

My Favorite Easter Treat

One of my favorite Easter treats is a Middle Eastern shortbread cookie filled with dates, a traditional Arab treat called Maamoul. I learned to love these cookies when I lived in Jerusalem. For a few years, I shared an apartment with an Arab girl from Nazareth who was studying law in Jerusalem.

Every few weeks she would go home for the weekend, returning with food prepared by her mother. I always loved the stuffed date cookies. Mamoul can be stuffed with nuts or dates, but my favorites were the dates, with pastry made with semolina rather than flour.

Hunting online for a recipe, I decided I also would need a traditional Maamoul "press" - so that the cookie will look right! This proved to be easier than finding a recipe!
 
I purchased these two in a middle Eastern grocery store...

Now to hunt for a recipe to try. I want one that isn't too complicated, and uses semolina, rather than flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment