Saturday, February 25, 2017

Making Spaces

I read recently that, when most people "downsize," they need to get rid of two-thirds of what they have in their house. We're not planning on downsizing any day soon, but the time may come - and I don't want to be overwhelmed when it does.

I don't think I'll mind getting rid of furniture we no longer need. But little things, like books, papers and souvenirs could be a problem. I don't want to get rid of things that still give me joy, or that I use. But there is a lot I could get rid of and not really miss.

So one of my goals this winter has been to "make spaces" in the house... in rooms, closets and shelves. We've lived here for 35 years, so, in that time, we've accumulated a lot!

I regularly take clothing, books and other odds and ends to a nearby thrift shop. This winter I also listed some furniture items on Kijiji, like this drafting table my daughter hasn't used in years. I was pleased to see it go to someone who will use it...

I still have a long ways to go until I see spaces on shelves and in closets! But I am taking tiny steps in the right direction!

Now when I walk into a room and it looks messy, I ask myself: Is there anything in here I no longer need?!

No comments:

Post a Comment