Friday, February 24, 2017

An Interesting Diet Book

I am in the midst of reading a recently published (2015) book on "the real science behind what we eat."

"The Diet Myth" by researcher Tim Spector summarizes recent studies on how we are affected by food...

I should probably explain that food and dieting are not really my interests - but, for years now, I've been trying to keep my blood sugar as low as possible through food choices. Since being told that I have high blood sugar a dozen years ago, I've read a wide variety of diet books.

The author has spent years studying identical twins and has discovered a similarity in their weight and how food (or even over-eating) affects them. The discouraging fact is that a lot of this is genetic, so there is only so much we can do about how much we weight or how food affects us health-wise. Even our likes and dislikes of certain foods may be genetic!

On the positive side, there is something we can do. The author claims that eating a variety of foods enhances health. The more microbes in our digestive system, the better, as different foods provide different "flora." Not only probiotics, but "pre-biotics" like fiber are important, as they create an environment that enhances microbial growth.

I'm trying to finish the book quickly - I borrowed it from the library and half a dozen others are waiting to read it! (I could buy my own copy, but discoveries in this area of food science is constantly changing, as more discoveries are being made. How long before these ideas are outdated or modified?!)

In the meantime, I'm trying to eat more unprocessed foods and keep my diet fresh and varied. A good excuse to eat out more often in my two favorite restaurants - one an organic vegetarian restaurant, the other an Indian restaurant where food is fresh and spicy. Both serve foods that are totally different from what I prepare at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment