Thursday, September 3, 2015

Rodin Exhibit in Montreal

I have long been an admirer of the French sculptor, Rodin.

I first noticed his work when I was a university student and came across one of his sculptures on campus. That led me to visit his Paris studio, now a museum of his art. But that was years ago.

So I was looking forward to seeing his work again, this time as a visiting exhibit at a Montreal gallery.
















After doing hand-building in pottery for a few years, would I view his sculptures any differently?

Technically, I was surprised to discover that, like many potters and hand-builders, he created molds for his work, and would use them again and again. Rodin apparently had a room full of molds for body parts.




I was also surprised to hear that he didn't do all the work by himself, hiring apprentices to make smaller versions of a piece, so that it could be made - and sold - in different sizes.















(I had never really thought of the commercial necessity of constantly selling.)











A hint of private tragedy in this sculpture - a woman's head sticking out an unfinished block. The face is a young woman apprentice (later an accomplished artist in her own right) who had an affair with Rodin and ended up going mad...

All in all, an interesting exhibit to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment