Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Deserted Gas Station

Driving to Westport last week, Terry and I took the back roads, for added adventure...

At one point, on a quiet country road near Christie Lake, we passed an old deserted garage with a single gas pump.

So much like my father's garage in Hay Lakes, Alberta, in the late 1940s! My father's garage was a little bigger, I think, and he had two pumps. But otherwise very similar.

Back in those days, we lived upstairs!


 
A few ramshackle buildings remained nearby...












In better condition, this stone building next to the garage, on the edge of a small river. Was it once a water-powered factory or mill...?

As sad as it was to see a place so abandoned, it brought back so many memories of the village I lived in as a child!

No comments:

Post a Comment