Friday, April 11, 2014

Repurposing Wool Socks

One recent rainy day I found myself mending wool socks.

Many were ones I had knit. I know how much work went into making them, so I didn't want to simply toss them out.












But at the bottom of my pile were two pairs of alpaca socks Terry had bought years ago from someone who raised alpacas. He had worn them as slippers indoors for quite a few winters. Then the soles started to wear through. I mended them once; now they had worn spots again.

I hated to throw them out - only the soles showed signs of wear. So I googled "how to re-purpose wool socks."


I discovered several interesting articles: Top 62 Ways to Reuse Socks and a tutorial on turning old sweaters into slippers. Interesting - but not quite what I wanted...

They had been washed many times, so the yarn was firmly "felted." I removed one worn heel - and got the idea of turning them into fingerless gloves!






I trimmed them some more. Then using darning wool, I tacked together five finger openings.












 Here they are - 15 minutes later! Ready for our next cold winter weather!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! I badly felted the first pair I ever knitted... Now I know exactly what to do. Glad you posted this.

    ReplyDelete