Monday, April 21, 2014

First Painted Pots

I tried painting designs on some of my pots recently. Using underglaze, I dabbed color onto them. One of the more experienced potters in the studio suggested that, for best results, the pots should be smooth - not rough and textured (as mine were).


But I went ahead, trying to create a design - then giving up and just dabbing color on in an abstract way!


Later I painted a clear glaze over the colors (which covered the design and made them look grey). I wondered what they would look like when they came out of the kiln...








They are brighter- but more streaked - than I expected! I'm glad one of my attempts at painting turned out. Not surprising, after all my botanical drawings, it was an attempt to paint a flower inside the bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment