Saturday, April 19, 2014

Arabic Easter Cookies

One of my favorite Easter memories from my time in Israel is eating traditional Arabic cookies stuffed with dates or walnuts.


My favorites were the date-filled ones. (On the right in the top photo.)











I was introduced to them when I shared my apartment with a Christian Arab girl, who studied at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. She would bring back samples of her mother's baking whenever she went home. I've never tried making them, partly because I don't have a mold. But I did find this recipe - and beautiful photos - online. I was interested to see that the pastry, made with semolina (cream of wheat) and butter, has no sugar added.

 

These days I usually buy one or two whenever I see them... just for old time's sake. If memory serves me right, the homemade ones I ate in Israel were really stuffed with nuts. These don't have as many walnuts in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment