Sunday, July 28, 2013

Obedience = Acceptance

The word "obedience" has always been a problem for me. Growing up - at home and in school - I was encouraged to question and to think for myself. I wouldn't want to change that. But at times, I did rebel against my parents' expectations. Choosing my own path while maintaining a healthy distance no doubt led to a more harmonious relationship between us. (Our family is all too ready to offer suggestions and to criticize!)

But Esther de Waal, in her commentary on the Rule of St. Benedict, presents obedience in a different light. She equates it with acceptance: acceptance of ourselves with our strengths and weaknesses, acceptance of others with all of theirs, acceptance of the challenging situations God presents us with. Not a grudging acceptance - but a "joyful, generous... whole-hearted" one!

Now,  that is the challenge, whatever age or stage we are at!

No comments:

Post a Comment