Friday, May 17, 2013

What's in Bloom?

It's only mid-May - yet the first wave of flowers has disappeared from my garden. The hyacinths, tulipa tarda, scilla, and hellebore are gone.













There are still a few late blooming tulips in our back yard.














I probably planted them deeper into the ground - to  keep them from being eaten by squirrels!














Now they risk being hidden by other plants, like this lonely white tulip!



There are also a few interesting tulips - with variegated colors - that I bought last year at Algonquin College's spring garden show. (I missed it this year!)

I must have trimmed my snow fountain cherry tree at the wrong time last year - it hasn't blossomed! It's the tree in the center of my front garden bed in the picture on top. I think I trimmed it in fall - and probably cut off all the budding branches! (Lesson learned!)














The bleeding heart is blooming.














The Canada anemone flowers are out.














I divided the lamium last year - and now I have three big clumps. I think I'll plant a clump under the pine trees to see how they tolerate the acidity there.














The lovely blue forget-me-nots are also in their prime.














This cluster of yellow flowers, a plant called Euphorbia, is in bloom.














Some wild strawberries have crept into my flower bed - I'll let them stay!














I wonder if these flowers (hidden  under the green and white leaves) are periwinkle...  Every day there are new surprises!

No comments:

Post a Comment