Saturday, May 11, 2013

Can't Believe It's Done

My first scrap quilt - inspired by the book, Sunday Morning Quilts - is finally done!














(Does it look different before and after being quilted?!... ) Here it is before...


















There were a few "learning curves" along the way...














...such as discovering the necessity of using a 12.5 inch square ruler to square up all the blocks and make even uneven-looking quilt blocks fit tidily together. The next challenge was hand-quilting it in two large pieces, as a form of basting... Then sewing the two quilted pieces into one really large quilt and machine quilting it!














This was a test for my new extra-large sewing machine.














I discovered that - although the opening was big enough for the quilt to pass through quite easily - I had to watch that the sheer weight of the quilt didn't unbalance my sewing. At times my rows of stitching didn't end up straight. (Maybe I should have used masking tape as a temporary guide line.)


















The quilt back is also an example of patchwork!














When I think of the mound of scraps I started with a few months ago...














 It's come a long way!

No comments:

Post a Comment