Friday, May 24, 2013

Dandelions!

The past few weeks have been dandelion season. We live near an open field with millions of them!














As a child, I loved dandelions. I would make bouquets of them to give to my mother - and when they turned white, blow the seeds into the air. As an adult, I never gave much thought to dandelions... until I had a garden. Then I started to hate them! They plant themselves in every bare spot of ground.

Some of my neighbors use dandelion greens as food - they come back from the field with their arms laden with them. I've also read that dandelions were first brought to North America on the Mayflower - on purpose, for their medicinal properties. But I still don't like to see them in my yard!


















Which is why I've been spending hours trying to root them out of the ground with my wonderful dandelion remover. (We have so many dandelions that I wore out my first one last year - and I'm on my second!)

With all the rain we've been having, the soil is very soft - so they come out easily, often roots and all.














If I were a true botanical artist, I would probably stop digging and start drawing - especially when I see a marvelous specimen like this.

But I must be a gardener foremost, because I simply toss them onto my (growing) compost heap instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment