Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My (Failed?) Hellebore Experiment

I wanted to add several hellebore plants to my garden, as they bloom in early spring - just when I appreciate flowers the most!

Last year I bought three and planted each in a different part of the yard, to see which location was best. I was told they needed a sheltered location, not in direct sunlight and away from potential winds.

The only one that has bloomed this year is the one in the front garden bed...


















... though it doesn't look all that strong! (Have the squirrels been nibbling?!)


















I planted another under these pine trees in a very sheltered location. It has no flower buds.














I planted the third in the sunniest part of the yard, a place where there are strong winds in winter (when the plant is covered with snow)...


















It also hasn't bloomed!

I was recently told by a flower expert that hellebores do not grow in our climate zone. They do better in Toronto, which is a zone warmer... (So, if these don't make it, I won't bother trying again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment