Tuesday, September 15, 2009

When did DOING NOTHING become a CARDINAL SIN?!

I was driving past a cyclist yesterday, when the thought occurred to me that if I rode my bike to run errands in the neighborhood, I wouldn't have to worry about taking walks to get exercise.

Then just as quickly, the-part-of-my-mind-that-resists-exercise countered: Well, you wouldn't get as much done.

How much do I need to get done? I asked myself. Yes, I'm always busy and often on the run. I always seem to be doing something: gardening, housework, cooking, shopping. And I always feel as if I'm playing catch-up with the things that need to be done.

Why can't I just slow down - and be happy with doing less?

It seems like rushing around is one of the characteristics of our age, at least in our Canadian society. I remember a friend telling me that his company got him a new computer every 6 months or so - whenever a faster model came out. They didn't want him to waste any of his time at work. If a faster machine enabled him to accomplish more, they got it for him.

How did people live a hundred years ago, before electricity became commonplace? Did they accomplish less than we do? People worked hard from dawn to dusk, but then they rested - candles were expensive. Did they get less done?

I think about my daughter who, during one year of her university studies, was active on the executive of a youth organization. Planning weekend retreats and other activities left her with less time for school work - but - paradoxically - her marks at university were higher that year than any other!

Is it possible that, in our rush to accomplish so much, we actually accomplish less ... in the long run?

Maybe, instead of bemoaning the dusty living room and stressing about whether I'll manage to transplant some flowers in the garden today, I should just give myself permission to sit for an hour or two and watch the changing shapes of the clouds, like I did as a child. Or maybe I should read a book - just for fun.

Maybe, like my daughter, I'll be surprised at how much gets done in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment