Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Re-styling Clothing: Practical and FUN

Joy in creativity motivates us to do strange things!

How else can I explain the fun I had restyling several pairs of pants I no longer wore into Capri pants?














... And the pleasure I derived from wearing them?














They are nothing special - but they're so comfortable, I've worn them constantly all summer!

When I was in university, I had a landlady who was an avid knitter. Every year I would watch her pull apart some old sweater she had knit for her son several years before, wash the yarn to get rid of the kinks, then use it to knit a sweater in his current size, adding stripes and designs with new yarn, as needed, to have enough.

Why don't you just buy all new yarn? I once asked her.

She shrugged. I like this yarn. It's a good quality - it washes well. Why buy new yarn when I can use the old?

But the time you waste, knitting and re-knitting...

Oh, I enjoy it!

Like her, most of us who re-style clothing do it for the creative challenge it presents - and the satisfaction of seeing something old re-used!

No comments:

Post a Comment