Friday, September 25, 2009

Jumbo Raisin Cookies (Almost) Like Grandma Used to Make

It was my uncle's 95th birthday... What could I give him?

Perhaps a taste from the past. I hunted high and low for one of the cookie recipes his mother (my grandmother) used to make, and come up with this one that I think originated with her.

(But true to my cooking style, I couldn't simply replicate the recipe - I had to change it!)














These raisin cookies have a soft almost cake-like texture.

I should add that the recipe is quite large - it makes about 75 cookies - so a big mixing bowl is needed.

Jumbo Raisin Cookies

1. Add 2 cups of raisins to 1 cup of water in a saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes - then set aside (to cool).

2. Cream together 1 cup of margarine or shortening and 2 cups of sugar - 1 cup of brown sugar and 1 cup of white sugar. (Next time I would try using a little less, probably 1 1/2 cups, as the cookies were quite sweet. )

3. Add 3 eggs to the margarine-sugar mixture and beat well. Then add the cooled raisin mixture.

4. Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda,
1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon plus 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon of allspice. (I didn't have any allspice, so I added ginger instead.) Mix well.

5. Then add 4 cups of flour (I used 2 cups of white flour, 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup of wheat germ and 1/4 of psyllium - for added nutrition and fiber.) Mix well.

6. Drop batter on greased cookie sheet - one heaping teaspoon per cookie - and bake for 12 - 15 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celcius).

7. Remove cookies from pan and cool them on a rack before eating. Enjoy! (Come to think about it, I think my mother - and possibly my grandmother - cooled freshly-baked cookies on brown paper bags that they opened up and spread on the table.)














Happy birthday Uncle Erhardt!
(Hope you enjoyed the cookies!)

And thanks - Elizabeth - for the great picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment