Thursday, September 24, 2009

Gone!














I stepped outside this morning with a pile of newspaper to be recycled, glanced to my right ... and wondered why the veranda looked so spacious. I then realized that the wooden chair I had painstakingly put together earlier this summer was GONE!














Someone had simply walked off with it! In fact, two people probably did the deed, as the solid wooden chair was heavy and awkward to carry.

My immediate reaction was shock and disbelief ... Then, as I stared at the empty space where the chair had been, I became a little teary ... then insulted ... then sad that there were people around who were MEAN enough to just walk up to my house and STEAL something that belonged to ME!

Why does this always bother me? I wondered... It's only a chair.

It's not as if it's the first time I've been the victim of theft. Experience should make it easier - but it doesn't. I've had my identity stolen, a purse snatched, and a car broken-into. One of the family bikes, lying on the ground beside the house, was also taken once.

I shouldn't be shocked, I tell myself. These things happen. In fact, I had thought about the possibility that the chair could be stolen. I remember thinking - as I was putting it together - that I should write the address on the underside or between the slats... I don't remember whether I did it or not. I also remember asking myself if it wouldn't be safer to keep the chair in the back yard, out of plain view.

But I decided to leave it where it was, on the front veranda - where I could sit and watch the rain without getting wet - because I didn't want fear to dictate how I lived.

But now it's gone and I'm sad - probably because I (again) feel less trusting about the world I live in. Trust is a pretty basic need. Maslow ranks it as number 2, after the need for food and shelter. We all need to feel safe and secure.

But for now, there's really nothing I can do - except let it go - and pray that the thieves will somehow feel a sense of remorse... so that they won't want to steal again.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sad your chair was stolen. I can relate to the not wanting to live in fear thought process. There's sometimes a fine line between being practical and being paranoid. And I think you're handling the situation well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's terrible! i'm sorry your lovely chair is no longer with you. i definitely think the culprits will see their actions return to them tenfold.

    i hope a better chair finds it's way into your life soon.

    ReplyDelete