Thursday, January 31, 2013

Surprise Winter Blooms

My mother used to talk to her plants, but I've discovered that my indoor plants do best when left alone...














I usually water the ones on the main-floor once a week. They get afternoon sun for a few hours on sunny days. However, I have to be careful not to give the African violets too much water, or they wilt. (This surprises me because I saw African violets growing naturally in Hawaii, where the ground is moist.)

Recently I took one wilting, ailing violet to a south-facing upstairs bedroom where I have a few plants that are almost totally forgotten.














This must suit them fine, because when I went there a few days later, I discovered flowers on this plant! (I've forgotten what it's called.) And a little bud was forming on my ailing African violet!














So my rule-of-thumb for plants is: don't talk to them - ignore them!

No comments:

Post a Comment