Tuesday, January 1, 2013

It's a New Day... A New Year... Let's Move On!

At the beginning of a new year, it is good to remember this practical advice by Ralph Waldo Emerson:

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense."

(I love his expression: "old nonsense"! Sometimes I find myself taking life too seriously - and that puts it all in good perspective!)

Along that vein, for those (like me) who tend to be a little too introspective, I will add the admonition of Cardinal Basil Hume: "Take God seriously; take other people seriously; but never, never take yourself seriously." (The Path of Life, p. 166)

No comments:

Post a Comment