Friday, October 16, 2009

Taking Small Bites (Out of a Big Challenge)

I just finished raking two garbage cans of pine needles from the big pine tree out front - I also tied up some vines - and pulled some burrs... There is so much left to do in the yard, but I think I'll leave it for tomorrow.

There are other tasks to be done... I'd like to take several bags of books and clothing to the Nearly-New Store - and deliver some more winter garments to my mother. (She has limited closet space in her new residence, so out-of-season clothing is stored here at my home.)

It occurs to me, that I am capable of taking only small bites out of any large task. My husband, on the other hand, likes to do the whole thing in one go - a cleaning or gardening Blitzkrieg, so to speak. But that's not how I work. I need to take small (reflective) steps.

In the early years of our marriage, when we changed apartments annually, he would insist on unpacking everything - and scrubbing the whole apartment - the day we arrived at our new home. Everything had to be cleaned and put away before he could rest that night.

I used to argue with him - but I don't waste my (or his) energy doing that any more. Now I just let him go and do it, helping as much as I can, but mainly staying out of his way! His way of tackling house-cleaning or yard work just doesn't work for me.

So tomorrow I'll be probably be back doing more yard work... Perhaps I'll dig out the compost heap and move a few plants. And perhaps a little more organizing indoors. A little bit here, a little bit there. (Or should I say: A little bite here, a little bite there?!)

Which may be why I feel it never ends... (Because, in fact, it never does!)

My husband, on the other hand, works on a larger task until it's done - and then it's DONE! Then he sits back and watches TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment