Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"Shopping" in Mother's Closet

I read recently that a major clutter-problem stems from people's reluctance to part with old clothing, even when it no longer fits ... or is no longer in style. I'll bear that in mind as I sort through my winter things. Maybe it's time to weed out clothes I haven't worn for years.

My closet is full of garments I haven't worn in ... I don't know how long. But before donating them to the Nearly-New Shop at church, I show them to my daughter - to see what she thinks.

Why don't you wear this sweater, Mom? she asks me. It's in style again...


















Really?
Then maybe I will.

I show her a few items I can no longer fit into... and discover, not only that they fit her, but that she would actually wear them!


















This mauve leather skirt is now in her closet. (I always loved the detail on the high waist!)














This necklace appeals to her, too... (How old is it? Did I buy it with babysitting money when I was in my teens?)



















My mother's cast-off sweater is apparently in style again, too.

I've read a few articles suggesting people "shop" in their own closets during hard economic times, my daughter tells me. But shopping in my mother's (or grandmother's) closet is even better: It's full of "vintage" clothing!

(But that's only because - contrary to closet-organizing wisdom - neither of us get rid of garments, even when they're no longer in style!)

No comments:

Post a Comment