Friday, October 30, 2009

Saying GOOD-BYE - to Favorite Clothes

I'm feeling a little sad - I have to part with some "old friends" - CLOTHES that have been my favorites for a long time.

It's not often that my clothes wear out - but of course, those that do are ones I love to wear!



















Like this denim shirt I've worn for years and years. The embroidered flowers always cheered me, so I wore it often as a light jacket over a T-shirt or sweater.



















A few years ago, the elbow tore, and my mother (an amazing seamstress) mended it, extending its life for a few years. But now I see it now has a few more worn spots. So I think it's time to say Good-bye...














I'm also sad that these loafers that I've worn non-stop for at least 3 years are beginning to tear. They were comfortable the first time I put them on - so comfortable, in fact, that I rarely wore any other shoes!

They have trudged along many a school corridor, and many a dusty street. They became the shoes I could count on , so I wore them when I traveled. Easy to slip off and on, they have walked the streets of Montreal, Toronto, Paris, Jerusalem and Honolulu!

When they were new, a school secretary commented on how comfortable they looked. The last person to notice them and say something had a different kind of comment:

Those are the strangest looking shoes I've ever seen, an elderly gentleman sitting across from me at an airport lounge told me!

Well, they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned, I replied, in their defence.

If strangers begin to comment, and they are starting to tear, maybe it's time to let them go!

What should I do - fix these shoes or toss them? I ask one of my sons, who hates to part with old clothes (and hates to shop).

Toss them! he quickly replies. They've had their day!

If even he thinks so, it's probably the right thing to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment