Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Installing Updates...

It's hard when computers have a mind of their own, as ours did recently. When Terry was ready to turn it off and go to bed, instead of shutting down, it restarted and began installing updates. He tried in vain to get it to turn off - so that he could go to bed. But it refused to listen ... It just kept on installing updates!

I was awake - my sleeping brain had wakened me to install updates of its own! We had just come back from a relaxing few days away. While on holiday, we had visited old friends we hadn't seen since... since our hair was less gray! Little had changed - except that now we were talking about children's jobs, plans for retirement ... and parents who were no longer alive.

Back home again, I had anticipated a good night's sleep in my own bed - but instead, my updating brain had wakened me with thoughts of GETTING OLD!

It's not the first time my brain has had to install updates! I remember well the panic nightmares I had when I brought each of my newborn babies home from the hospital: sometime not long afterward, I would dream that I had gone somewhere and left them behind, because I HAD FORGOTTEN I HAD THE BABY!! My brain was installing updates...

Then there were the panic dreams of later years - I'd wake up at 3 am and realize that I DIDN'T KNOW WHERE MY CHILDREN WERE... WERE THEY OKAY?! I had to remind myself that they were adults now, living on their own... and I would hear if there were a problem... Installing updates...

It will be nice when these latest updates are all fully installed - fears quelled - and the enjoyment of yet another phase of life will begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment