Thursday, January 11, 2024

Don't Stop Learning!

I had never heard of "the Five Hour Rule" until I came across this article in my news feed. I also didn't know that Oprah or Bill Gates practiced it... 


What is the five hour rule?! According to the article, it's a commitment to spend an hour a day learning something new... (Presumably for 5 days a week.)

I wasn't sure WHY the author decided to spend 5 hours a week learning or studying... Was she trying to upgrade her marketable skills to get a better job? Or was she - like many seniors - trying to stay mentally fit?

In any event, I reached the part where she mentions that her online studies were adding stress to her life.


At that point, I started to think about my life. Do I try to learn new things? I think I do. How much time do I spend on it? I really have no idea. But I try to follow my current passion, whatever it is. What excites me now? What do I want to know more about? (Then I blog about it!)

If I found myself getting stressed, I'd definitely stop. Whatever stage of life we're at, whatever it is that we want to know more about, learning should be interesting... and FUN!

I went back to the article to see how the author tweaked her five-hour rule. She made the daily learning hour a GOAL rather than a RULE. And she divided the time into smaller portions, doing different activities for 15-20 minute segments.

That's probably what I do most days. I do WORDLE daily... I read... I try new things, like the temperature blanket I'm currently trying to figure out.


The most mentally fatiguing thing I do is go through old papers and photographs - mine and my mother's. To keep? Or to toss? Now that's a hard one!

No comments:

Post a Comment