Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Third Snowfall (updated!)

Yesterday I woke up to our third snowfall of the season - a light dusting of snow.


It will hopefully melt in a day or two, as temperatures are expected to rise again to 12 degrees C (54 degrees F) before the weekend.


As I was looking out at the snow, I noticed a large squirrel nest in our backyard neighbors ' tree.


These amazing structures - made mainly of leaves, glued together with squirrel saliva - are strong enough to withstand winter winds and cold. 

They're only visible when trees lose their leaves.  In summer, they're camouflaged in the branches.


Note: After reading my blog, my daughter referred me to a scientific website that gives details on what squirrels' nests (called dreys) are made of.  

Saliva is not mentioned! (Neither is the hair squirrel mothers pull out of their own tails to make a soft bed before giving birth - a detail my neighbour Rob told me about.)



No comments:

Post a Comment